Pages

Saturday, December 2, 2017

KubeCon2017 - getting ready

Another thing I did last summer was submit a proposal to speak at KubeCon. As a bootcamp graduate, I feel there can be a fair bit of "invisible prerequisite" to learning any new technology (this feels especially true for entry-level CS classes butthat's a whole different post), and so I decided to plan a presentation on how to be a beginner at Kubernetes.

My proposal got accepted, and so next week, I will be heading to Austin to meet people, learn, share, and hang out. This will not be my first presentation, but it will absolutely be my first time ever attending a professional conference, at all. I am beyond excited.

KubeCon is hosted by the Cloud Native Computing Foundation, an organization I am still learning lots about. But they also provided me with a diversity scholarship to attend the conference, so I am very grateful.

KubeCon has a diversity training course for speakers, and it will host a diversity luncheon. Personally, I am excited these efforts are being made, but I am also saddened that they are seemingly so necessary. For what it is worth, I have so far been treated with nothing but respect from everyone I have worked with, and I have taken lead in an upstream effort to improve new Kubernetes contributors' experiences, which so far has been met with enthusiasm. I mean, who better to tell new people about the steps to take than that newbie who just tripped all over everything? ;)

Oh yeah: The open-source nature of Kubernetes makes for a vibrant community of people who collaborate across companies and projects. I look forward to meeting people in person that so far I have only met on a screen: Jorge Castro, Paris Pittman, Josh Berkus, and many others, all of whom have been welcoming and asked me to talk and share experiences and plans in open forums and meetings.

As stated above, my talk will focus on how to get started with Kubernetes. I will be sharing my personal experience and specific tools that I believe are a great place to start. I look forward to KubeCon!

No comments:

Post a Comment